by Constitutional Attorney, Speaker, Author & Teacher KrisAnne Hall
What Everyone Ought to Know About Their First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
The 1st Amendment Contains 5 Individual Liberties!
- Freedom of Religion: You have a right to practice any religion that you happen to choose and the government can do nothing to stop you.
- Freedom of Speech: The main point is that we don’t need a 1st amendment to protect popular speech (Texas v. Johnson 491 US 397 (1989)). Your 1st amendment free speech rights are there to protect unpopular speech! Liberty cannot be preserved without the right to speak and speak those things that not everyone may want to hear! The Supreme Court struck the ordinance down as unconstitutionally discriminating based on the content of expression. RAV v. St. Paul 505 US 377 (1992)
- Freedom of the Press: The Free Press Clause protects the right of individuals to express themselves through publication and dissemination of information, ideas and opinions without interference, constraint or prosecution by the government. You can start your own blog, your own radio show and you can use your 1st amemdment free speech rights to express yourself.
- Freedom to Assemble: You and you and your friends have a right to protest. In fact did you know that arresting peaceful protesters for disobeying order to leave is unconstitutional and police must protect protesters over safety of public. The high court ruled that peaceful demonstrators may not be prosecuted for “disorderly conduct.” This case also secured streets and sidewalks as public forums. Hague v. C.I.O. (1939)
- Freedom to Redress the Government: The main point here is that you have a right to complain about the government – your government.
By watching this video, you know that we can dramatically increase everyones awareness of liberty just by us knowing our rights and that’s why you’re going to love the next video on the 4th amendment and the special “Sovereign Duty” bundle I’m putting together that will be coming in the next few days. KrisAnne Hall.
If you want to share this with any of your friends or family, please send them to http://krisannehall.com/defend-your-rights/
For more 1st Amendment Information, Click to Download, the Liberty First, First Amendment Fact Sheet and please leave any questions, or comments below in the comment box.
Let us know if we missed anything. We read and reply to all comments every day.
In Defense of Liberty Free eBook
To download “In Defense of Liberty” simply click on the book cover image below to open up the PDF file in your browser. From there save it to your computer and read it.
Right Click “Save as”